Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry to the auto industry saying, “If General Motors kept up with technology like the computer industry, we would all be driving £25 cars that do 1,000 miles to the gallon”.
In response GM issued the following press release stating if we had developed technology like Microsoft we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:
1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the motorway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.
4. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single “This car has performed an illegal operation” warning light.
5. The airbag system would ask “Are you sure?” before deploying.
6. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
7. You would have to press the “Start” button to turn the engine off.