Royal Air Force
Administrative Apprentices Association

Multum A Parvo

The Queens Shilling

Home Forums Memory Lane The Queens Shilling

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Drummer boy
    Participant

Copied from RAF Hereford FB page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/24904738175/permalink/10155759202218176

I hope you dont mind me sharing this again as it is again the anniversary of the great day i signed on the dotted line and tomorrow 49 years ago I received the Queens Shilling! Great memories
    1 Year Ago

Peter McCafferty
    3 September 2017 · Basildon ·

In the next few days I will have some wonderful memories as it exactly 48 years ago I rememeber the wonderful day leaving home to take a long train journey with a lot of others who i met at Paddington we were all a bit nervous but these memories are wonderful I arrived at RAF Hereford and would in the next few days time be attested except the Queens shilling and sign on the dotted line
    and become an RAF Admin Apprentice! It was the start of 25 years in the RAF and I would not have missed it for the world. I suspect I am not alone with these feelings and memories of being a memeber of 316 Apprentice Entry and it just seems like yesterday!!!!!👍

Alan Bell
    Keymaster

I joined the RAF at 16 and served 22 years. Never regretted my decision to join, with the superb training and discipline I received serving me well once I became a civilian.

I think that a stint in HM forces or other vital public service could not be other than beneficial to  young people embarking on the road to their future careers. It is my view that by so doing, one can experience the unique bonding that takes place during military or para-military training. Friendships made tend to last a lifetime and that sense of belonging to an organisation where everyone supports each other is unparalleled.

I understand that some European countries are thinking of re-introducing compulsory National Service while others like Greece, still operate it. Good for them! A bit of square bashing might just wean our youngsters away from social media,  give them a sense of public duty and the opportunity to make real friends.

Drummer boy
    Participant

I joined up with three of my school buddies and ex ATC cadets, so I guess the arrival at Hereford was a little less daunting than for others arriving on their own from civvy street.
    It certainly was the best thing I could have done, for experience and building confidence,
    I agree with Alan some form of compulsory discipline would not go amiss the way some of today’s youth a heading.

Discipline, bonding, education plus a trade thrown in, with the on going support to study for anything you want.

The comoradary is second to none and remains with you for ever.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.